May 1, 2018 – Morehead City, North Carolina

Left just before 6:30 this morning. Chris helped me off the dock just before he caught his Uber to the airport and hence home to St Petersburg …. thank you, Chris. Beginning of the day was benign but forecast of 2-3’ seas and 15 knot winds became 5+ seas and 20+ winds by early afternoon. No problem as I was sailing downwind. However, when I turned into the Beaufort Inlet I had the seas on the beam. So much steering that I had to engage the autopilot for a short time as my arms were getting very tired. Found my anchorage and anchored in the 20 knot winds which certainly has to be thought through when solo. Made a Manhattan and checked in with US Customs and Border Department. Main event of the day was the dolphins that came to race along the bow of the boat for 20 minutes …. just awesome.


May 2, 2018 – Green Point, Cedar Island, North Carolina

Think Garmin has a glitch … tracking stopped recording and now a map with the whole track (or any tracks) is no longer on their site. Anyway, anchor up at 8:25 before the current and wind working against each other would make this difficult or impossible. Nice trip up Adams Creek … lottsa boats heading north. Below is one of them, Enticer, from RI. I have seen her several times since Savannah…this pic was her passing me yesterday. When I got to the Neuse River I thought I’d be sailing but almost no wind and sun so hot the deck was difficult to walk on. Then about 2pm the winds piped up to high teens. Headed off course about 8 miles to get to an anchorage in a nature reserve that has good protection (according to Active Captain). Turns out no protection from 20 knot SW winds. In 7’ of water my anchor gripped right away so that went well. Hope it pipes down later to reduce the rocking and cause this was to have been a bbq night!


May 3, 2018 – Long Shoal River, North Carolina

Like the last two days this was sunny and calm until early afternoon when the winds came up to 20 knots. Bobbing in my anchorage (glad I have my sea legs) cause the land I thought would give me shelter is flat ? It’s a moot point though as there were very few possibilities short of continuing on another 30 nm to tomorrow’s destination. It’s on Roanoke Island in the upper right of this map/chart. A Marina stay and a quaint town to explore with dinner out. ?

76 people reached

May 4, 2018, Manteo, Roanoke Island, North Carolina

Rough night. Had to sleep in the aft cabin as there was NO way to sleep forward. Only calmed down to 15 knots by the morning so it was a fun motor/sail avoiding crab pots and riding waves this morning. Half of today was spent in a shallow narrow channel that took me by some pretty sandy islands. The lighthouse is on Bodie Island just above Cape Hatteras. The funny item to the right is a duck blind …. there were lots of these. Very little traffic except locals. Arrived at Manteo (pronounced man knee oh) early afternoon. This was one of Sir Walter Raleigh’s settlements 1584-86. However, the settlers told him they didn’t want to stay. When Raleigh arrived with ships to take them off they couldn’t find them and never did. It’s known as The Lost Colony. Pleasant, friendly town to wander around. Lots to do here if one were staying longer.


May 5, 2018 – Black Water Creek, Virginia

Lottsa fun doing a giant slalom amongst the crab pots this morning – keeps me active! Didn’t want to pour in an extra jerry can of diesel and calculated that I could make it to Coinjock Marina with what’s in the tank. Was able to sail for 2 1/4 hours on Albermarle Sound. Have calculated that if I hadn’t sailed I woulda had .4 of a US gal left at the fill up. ? The water picture shows miles and miles of open water BUT outside of the channel is typically 1 to 3 feet of water with the odd 5 to 7’ where one could anchor. I’m anchored in Black Water Creek where Tarja and I anchored on the way down. Just 24 nm left for tomorrow although there are several bridges and a lock to contend with.

May 6, 2018 – Tidewater Marina, Portsmouth, Virginia

Shorter day today but lottsa rain and cold as another front went through – changed from my light foullies to my heavy duty set to keep warm and dryer. Last leg was through miles and miles of docks most owned by the US Navy …. quite the repair centre. I get a day off tomorrow (from travel, I still must clean up the boat, do laundry and an oil change). Peter Cohrs arrives late tomorrow evening and will be with me all the way home.

May 7/8, 2018 – Portsmouth, Virginia

The old yacht, Enticer, that I have posted pics of as we passed each other showed up on our dock today. It was built in 1935 and is all wood. Peter Cohrs is admiring the lines of the vessel. The other picture shows the long fuel linea here. The actual pump is at the end of the dock behind Peter. With long lines you can be filled up in your slip.

May 9/10, 2018 – Cape May, NJ

Peter Cohrs and I left a grey Portsmouth at 7am and passed the USN ship yards including this aircraft carrier. By 11am we were in the Atlantic heading NNE up the Delaware Coast. Was rolling and what wind there was was on the nose. Beginning in the afternoon we had fog banks come and go repeatedly right up to entering Cape May harbour. Thank goodness for AIS (identifies ship location, direction, speed, and name and me to them) and radar. The radar can pick up buoys over 3 miles away. After refuelling we anchored to ride out the winds and thunderstorms due later today. Engines hours just rolled past 1000 So much motoring has meant 4 oil changes on this trip. Off tomorrow for NYC.

May 11/12, 2018 – Sandy Hook NJ / New York City / Haverstraw Bay NY

Left Cape May about 6:30 Friday and anchored at Sandy Hook at 12:20am. We were off at 6:15 to catch the tidal currents into NYC and up the Hudson. Unfortunately it was cold and rainy. Just opposite Manhattan about 9am we were boarded by the Coast Guard. They were very polite and asked questions about PFDs, flares, and fire arms. Also looked in our bilge, they said for too much water. They took our passports and boat documents back to their craft. It was taking a long time so they kindly said we could press on and they would catch us up. Finally they returned our docs but there was a question about my last Cruising Permit check in. I had last checked in in Cape May and I thought the next check in would be in NY. However, early in the afternoon I had a call from Border Protection wondering why I hadn’t checked in yet and reminding me that failure to do so is a $5000 fine. Turns out that while I thought checking in the northern US was by state it’s actually by sector. Ergo I should’ve check in at Sandy Hook. So I made the officer I spoke with once we anchored in Haverstraw Bay aware and he noted it but didn’t seem concerned. Whew! We were warned about a shallow spot in our anchorage which may or may not be marked. It wasn’t and we found it right away! We hit suddenly and hard. Peter on the bow, anchor ready, was knocked down. Was able to back off and we anchored in 20’ of water just 10 yards away. Anchoring is soooo entertaining! ?

May 13, 2018 – Vanderburgh Cove, Kingston, New York

Greetings from Kingston (NY). Lovely trip although rather cool up the Hudson today …. no, we did not touch bottom getting out of anchorage, thank you. This part of the Hudson is very beautiful with treed rolling hills and the odd sheer rock face to add interest. Photo below (credit Peter Cohrs) is of the south side of West Point, the US Army military academy. We are anchored just below Kingston NY and should be at Hop-O-Nose Marina in Catskill by noon tomorrow to get our mast down in prep for the Erie and Oswego Canals.